Author: Bob Rushing
Making simple screen changes within Chart Posting is a fairly straight-forward process. Though it is not mandatory, we typically recommend that you separate out customizations from our standard dataset whenever possible to prevent missing out on any of the updates to our standard screens.
The steps below demonstrate how to copy an existing screen, add a new button, then provide a link to my new, customized screen, from the standard homebase:
- Go into chart posting on a sample patient and navigate to the screen in question. Write down the screen number found at the top of the form.
- Exit out of chart posting, and navigate to chart screen maintenance (App Button -> Setup -> Charts -> Chart Screen Maintenance)
- Click "Search for an existing charting screen"
- Type in the code of the screen in question and click "Search". Double click on the matching result to open the screen.
- Once the screen is brought up in the designer, click the Copy Screen button. Add a "My_" to the beginning of the screen code to avoid overwriting the original screen.
- Click on the button you would like to copy to select it. Once selected, click Copy, then Paste to create a copy of the button.
- Using the mouse or the arrows on the keyboard, drag or move the button where you want. Find the Text property and change the name of the button. Then the Value and change the text. Save.
- Next click on the Home tab and search for a screen called MyScreens.
- Select the screen and click on the button to select it. If you have already used the default button to link to another screen, copy the button as described above and modify your new copy.
- Change the Object Behavior to Menu Item.
- Select the MenuItem property and click on the search box. Click Add at the top of the dialog that appears.
- Click the Search button under Screen Details.
- Search for your new screen by entering "my" as the code, searching, then picking your screen out of the results list.
- Click Ok to save the Menu Item Details dialog.
- Change the Text property to show an appropriate caption that describes your new screen (in this case "Discussion"), then save the screen.
- Go into Chart Posting and create a new encounter with a sample patient. Click on the MyScreens button and select Next.
- Click on your new button to navigate to your custom screen.
- Confirm that your new button works properly.